Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump on Wednesday downplayed last month’s stock market rout — a dive that led to the worst December since the Great Depression — as a “little glitch.” But the President, who took credit for the stock market’s upward swing and closely watches the market as a measure of his performance, has privately fretted about the downturn, which he fears could undercut his 2020 re-election bid. “We had a little glitch in the stock market last month,” Trump said during a Cabinet meeting on Wednesday. He added that the market is still higher than when he came into office. “It’s still up, I guess about 30%, from the time I got elected,” Trump said. The Dow closed at 18,332 on November 8, 2016, and was up about 27% to 23,348 on Wednesday. Read More Five ways to tell if a slowdown will turn into a recession The jittery stock market in 2018 suffered its worst losses since 2008, leaving the President fuming about the Federal Reserve’s interest rate hikes and repeatedly attacking the chairman he picked, former investment banker Jerome Powell. The President and his economic advisers’ frustration with the Federal Reserve is running “extremely high,” said one… Read full this story
- Stock market dives amid rosy U.S. economic reports; international problems, poor corporate results to blame
- Trump victory rocks experts but not stock market
- What you need to know about stock-market plunge
- Stock market fluctuations are not cause for panic: Experts weigh in on how to protect your money
- High unemployment. Schizo stock market. Two long, bloody wars. No wonder Americans are cranky!
- Stock market plunges: Dow Jones Industrial Average drops over 500 points amid economy anxieties
- Dow tops 23,000 for first time as stock market rally gains speed
- USA TODAY Poll: Tweets and temperament are tripping up President Trump
- Why the Dow won't be haunted by an October market crash this year
- As stocks hit records, Wall Street ponders next 10% dive
Trump downplays stock market swings amid growing economic anxiety have 310 words, post on edition.cnn.com at January 2, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.