Smartphone sales are experiencing a slowdown globally, and China isn’t immune — quite the opposite. In a report published by Canalys today, analysts estimate that shipments in the country last year fell to their lowest level since 2013 — 396 million units — and that fourth-quarter sales alone dropped 15 percent year-on-year. It’s the seventh consecutive quarter of decline, and comes after a 4 percent overall decline in 2017. The report — which blames a number of factors, chief among them consumers opting not to upgrade their smartphones and a decline in middle-class purchasing power — mirrors findings from China Academy of Information and Communications Technology (CAICT), a research institute under the country’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology. In January, it said that shipments dipped 15.5 percent to roughly 390 million units for the year, and even more steeply in December. Above: Huawei and Vivo were the big winners in 2018 when it comes to smartphone shipments, according to Canalys.Image Credit: Canalys A few winners emerged from the most recent slump, however: Huawei and Vivo. Both saw their shipments climb 16 percent and 9 percent, respectively, while Oppo notched a narrow 2 percent dip. Others were less lucky. Xiaomi ranked… Read full this story
- China warns Apple against 'reckless' support of HK protesters
- The BBC will make a show for Netflix despite concerns that the streaming giant's success has hit the broadcaster hard by snaring younger viewers
- Want To Hit A Spamcop Hard?
- The most recent Hero Impulse is hitting the market hard
- Apple told makers of TV Plus shows to avoid depicting China critically, report says
- Best smartphone 2019: iPhone, OnePlus, Samsung and Huawei compared and ranked
- Dear Apple and Google: It’s time to stop releasing a new phone every year
- Apple under fire for sending Safari browser data to Chinese firm linked to the Communist government
- You might not be able to buy Huawei's top new smartphone
- How to pick the right Android 2019 smartphone for you
Canalys: Drop in smartphone sales in China hit Apple, Xaomi hard have 309 words, post on venturebeat.com at January 28, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.