Hanoi (VNA) – Vietnam, the just-crowned champions of the ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) Suzuki Cup 2018, will face the Republic of Korea who won the East Asian Football Federation (EAFF) Football Championship in 2017, in a friendly match next spring.
The two football bodies reached an agreement on December 15 in Hanoi to pit the winners of their respective regional tournaments against each another every two years. The one-and-done showdown will be called the AFF-EAFF Champions Trophy.
The inaugural match will be held on March 26.
After Vietnam won the AFF Suzuki Cup 2018 in Hanoi on December 15, the AFF-EAFF Champions Trophy has become a focus of attention in the Republic of Korea, where coach Park Hang-seo’s squad will face the team of his motherland.
Vietnam held the AFF Suzuki Cup trophy again after 10 years by beating Malaysia 1-0 in the second-leg final (and 3-2 on aggregate) of the tournament that took place at My Dinh National Stadium in Hanoi on December 15 night. The national team took the first champion title of the AFF Suzuki Cup in 2008, also at My Dinh Stadium.
ASEAN, the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, comprises Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Thailand, Singapore and Vietnam.-VNA
- National football team ready for friendly matches in RoK
- Vietnam, Indonesia vie in friendly match
- Vietnam face Iran in ASIAD football match
- Vietnam’s U19 football team beats China in friendly match
- Vietnam to meet U20 Argentina in friendly matches
- Indonesia, Vietnam vie in friendly match
- Vietnam and RoK to have friendly match
- Vietnam’s national football team welcomed home
- U23s to test their skills at friendly match against Ulsan Hyundai