President Trump visited American military forces on Wednesday in Iraq, making his first trip to troops stationed in a combat zone only days after announcing his intention to withdraw the United States from foreign wars in Syria and Afghanistan. The trip, shrouded in secrecy, came during a partial government shutdown and less than a week after Mr. Trump disrupted the military status quo and infuriated even some of his political allies by announcing plans to withdraw all troops from Syria and about half from Afghanistan . The president's decision on Syria led to the resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis . Speaking to troops at Al Asad Air Base, Mr. Trump defended his move in Syria. "We're no longer the suckers, folks," the president said, adding, "Our presence in Syria was not open-ended, and it was never intended to be permanent. Eight years ago, we went there for three months, and we never left." Mr. Trump, who visited the air base with his wife, Melania, said he had rejected requests from military commanders to remain in Syria for another six months. "I said, 'Nope. Nope.' I said, 'I gave you a lot of six months,'" the president said. "And now… Read full this story
- Trump makes surprise visit to American troops in Iraq
- Donald Trump makes surprise visit to Iraq over Christmas to meet US soldiers
- Trump makes surprise first visit to US troops in Iraq
- Donald Trump and Melania make surprise visit to Iraq to see US troops
- Trump threatens to close Mexico border 'entirely' over wall funding
- Trump Blasts Media Over Alleging MAGA Hat Signing Session Could Break Army Rules
- Trump's surprise troop visit sparks criticism in Iraq
- Iraqi President Says Trump Didn't Ask for Permission to 'Watch Iran'
- Top Republican to urge Trump to rethink Syria pullout
- The right address of Trump’s words
Trump Makes Surprise Visit to American Troops in Iraq have 311 words, post on www.nytimes.com at December 26, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.