The much-feared spread of Ebola virus from rural regions of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to larger cities and across the border into neighboring countries may be coming to pass, as the ongoing conflict in the DRC continues to impede the efforts of doctors and aid workers. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that the current outbreak is occurring in the worst of locations: the provinces of North Kivu and Ituri, which are heavily populated, trade heavily across the border with Rwanda and Uganda, and are experiencing a “deteriorating security situation” due to a violent and chaotic insurrection.Hopes for greater stability in the DRC suffered a setback on Thursday when a fire of unknown origins destroyed an electoral commission depot in the capital of Kinshasa, jeopardizing plans to arrange an orderly exit for President Joseph Kabila, who has lingered in power for two years after the formal end of his term. Kabila advisers blamed “criminals” for setting the fire, while the outgoing president himself promised to hold a “perfect election.” Some 8,000 electronic voting machines were reportedly destroyed in the blaze, but election officials were cautiously optimistic they could replace most of them with machines borrowed from other… Read full this story
- WHO declares Ebola outbreak 'health emergency' of international concern
- New Ebola outbreak in Congo kills 19 people and infects 20 others as HUNDREDS come into contact with diseased patients
- Ebola outbreak in Congo spreads as number of confirmed cases surges to 14 amid fears virus could reach capital
- UN chief visits Congo Ebola region, pledging support
- 'Terrifying' Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo now 'out of control'
- 2nd person dies from Ebola in Congo’s city of Goma
- ‘Fear and Distrust’: Red Cross Workers Come Under Attack as Ebola Spreads in Congo
- 1-year-old daughter, wife of Congo’s Goma victim have Ebola
- The Latest: Wife of Ebola victim in Goma has the virus
- Why we may never defeat ebola as boy, 5, dies in terrifying new outbreak
Congo Ebola Outbreak Spreads to Cities, Threatens Rwanda, Uganda, and South Sudan have 322 words, post on www.breitbart.com at December 13, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.