2 It was supposed to be a fairly smooth sign-off on an ambitious plan to stanch the Bay Area's housing crisis. Instead, Wednesday's meeting of the Metropolitan Transportation Commission became a taut showdown. While a panel of mayors, transit officials and business leaders vigorously defended their proposal to build 35,000 homes a year, residents and leaders of smaller cities who had been balking solidified into stiff opposition, saying they'd been left out of the discussions. After a four-hour debate, the commission voted 14-3 to authorize MTC Chairman Jake Mackenzie to sign the plan — which is advisory only, but meant to serve as a blueprint for state and local lawmakers. Commissioners call it a compact, a compromise among various groups that don't always trust each other: developers, tech executives, politicians, tenant advocates. Even so, MTC Executive Director Steve Heminger acknowledged that not everyone is happy about the arrangement. Tension stewed from the outset of the meeting. "This conversation has taken some, maybe all of you out of your comfort zone — it's certainly taken me out of mine," Heminger said. "But I think we also have to acknowledge that our collective comfort zone is what has produced the housing crisis… Read full this story
- 10 cheap (but fun!) Bay Area date ideas for summer
- Microsoft Pledges $500 Million to Ease Seattle Housing Crunch
- Bay Area cities join together in bid for Amazon headquarters
- A Bay Area developer’s innovative commute hack: live, work in one building
- Vote now: Best Bay Area pizza? It’s down to these top two
- Congressman tours East Bay facility housing migrant children separated from parents, describes what he saw
- Countywide stormwater authority draws heat from public, concern about new 'tax'
- Remembering beloved Bay Area animal columnist Gary Bogue
- Exploding signature gathering costs threaten SF homeless, housing ballot measures
- Google Invests $1 Billion to Ease Housing Shortage Near California Headquarters
Ambitious plan to ease Bay Area housing crunch draws heat, but passes have 311 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at December 19, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.