Speaking at the ceremony, Head of the Legal Aid Department Nguyen Thi Minh said that the aid, worth EUR45,000, will be used until 2020 in supporting the implementation of the legal aid law by increasing the quality of legal aid staff through training courses on legal aid to specific people, especially children and smuggling victims, in order to protect the legitimate rights and interests of those who receive legal aid.
Appreciating the aid, Deputy Minister Ngoc said that there had been progress in legal aid in Vietnam over the past year, with the legal aid law adopted by the National Assembly in 2017, which aims to increase the quality of legal aid, contributing to helping poor and vulnerable people have unbiased access to justice and enjoy legal equality.
“Legal aid is a big policy of the Vietnamese Government, serving mainly poor and disadvantaged people, which has been carried out for a long time by the Ministry of Justice,” he stressed.
Committing to wisely use the aid, he expressed his hope that the Irish Embassy in Vietnam will continue to support legal aid activities, contributing to reinforcing and developing the Vietnam – Ireland relationship.
Noting that the relationship between the Vietnamese Ministry of Justice and the Irish Embassy in Vietnam has been set up since 2012 by a signed agreement on law and justice cooperation, Ambassador Cait Moran said that one of the priorities of her embassy is to support Vietnam’s poverty reduction by assisting the poor in having access to justice.
Since 2015, the Irish Embassy has given annual support to legal aid in Vietnam./.Compiled by BTA
- In brief: Alameda OKs legal aid funding for low-income renters
- ISIS bride Shamima Begum 'receiving legal aid' for battle to return to UK
- Movers & Shakers: Sara Gullickson McGrane, president, shareholder, board president, Felhaber Larson; Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid
- DEBATE: Is it right for Shamima Begum to receive legal aid for her citizenship appeal?
- Legal aid and Health awareness camps organised at Aryans College
- 21 Savage donates $25K for legal aid for detained immigrants
- UAE and Saudi Arabia to give $200m in aid to Yemenis of all backgrounds
- TNI forms legal aid team for Kivlan Zen
- Attorneys, developer team up to provide $1.2 million in legal aid to Frazier Court residents
- Historic ruling gives Vespa legal protection from foreign fakes