(CNN)The current Ebola epidemic in the Democratic Republic of Congo — with 426 total cases, including 245 deaths — is now the second largest and second deadliest in history, according to Thursday’s report from the nation’s Ministry of Health. A 2000-01 outbreak in Uganda included 425 cases and caused 224 deaths, according to the World Health Organization. The deadliest outbreak occurred in West Africa in 2014, when the disease killed more than 11,000 people. First-of-its-kind Ebola treatment trial underway in Congo as outbreak surpasses 400 cases “This is a milestone nobody wanted to hit,” WHO spokesman Tarik Jasarevic wrote in an email. On average, Ebola — which causes fever, severe headache and in some cases hemorrhaging — kills about half of those infected, but case fatality rates in individual outbreaks have varied. The latest outbreak in Congo, which began in August, has a case fatality rate of 57%. Of the total cases, 379 have been confirmed, and 47 are probable, according to the ministry. An additional 87 suspected cases are under investigation. On a positive note, 126 patients have recovered, the ministry said. Read More This is the 10th outbreak since 1976 in Congo, where the virus is endemic, and… Read full this story
- 'Terrifying' Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo now 'out of control'
- 2nd person dies from Ebola in Congo’s city of Goma
- Experimental Ebola vaccine could be 'game-changer' in Congo outbreak
- Former Ebola patient calls attention to current outbreak
- New Ebola outbreak in Congo kills 19 people and infects 20 others as HUNDREDS come into contact with diseased patients
- A timeline of Congo’s latest deadly Ebola virus outbreak
- New Ebola outbreak kills 17 people in Congo just two years after disease wiped out 11,000 in west Africa
- Ebola outbreak in Congo spreads as number of confirmed cases surges to 14 amid fears virus could reach capital
- Violence threatens to bring Ebola back in Congo
- Nine countries are now at risk of Ebola after new outbreak in Congo
Congo Ebola outbreak is 2nd largest, 2nd deadliest have 306 words, post on edition.cnn.com at November 29, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.