TEL AVIV – An extremely rare stone weight inscribed with a word from the Hebrew Bible dating back 3,000 years was discovered by archaeologists near the Western Wall. The weight, known as a “beka,” was used to measure worshipers’ half-shekel levy prior to ascending the Temple Mount. This was the first time such a stone weight was found with this particular inscription of the word “beka” written from left to right.“Beka weights from the First Temple period are rare; however, this weight is even rarer because the inscription on it is written in mirror script,” archaeologist Eli Shukron told Haaretz. Shukron said this is likely a sign that it was made by a seal-maker, “since seals were always written in mirror script so that, once stamped, the inscription would appear in regular legible script.” “Apparently, the seal craftsman got confused when he engraved the inscription on the weight and mistakenly used mirror script as he was used to doing. From this mistake we can learn about the general rule: the artists who engraved weights during the First Temple period were the same artists who specialized in creating seals,” said Shukron. The word “beka” makes two appearances in the Bible. The first instance… Read full this story
- Meet Juan Soto: The 19-Year-Old MLB Phenom Who Could Replace Bryce Harper
- KC area 12-year-old started boxing as a preschooler, and now he’s a national champ
- 'For the first time, work's not my priority': Pregnant Orange is the New Black star Yael Stone, 33, reveals how she'll juggle career and motherhood
- Will Your NBA Team Be Better or Worse Off in 5 Years?
- 30 Years of the BMW M3
- SANZAAR year in review: Part 4
- From loss to hockey: 11 Day Power Play raises nearly $2.5 million
- 2018 NBA Mock Draft: Deandre Ayton goes No. 1, but is he the best player in this year's class?
- Alfa Romeo 8C 3000 CM Disco Volante Superflow IV Pininfarina Coupé
- Coast to Coast 2014: Driving Old Route 66 (Part 2)
3,000-Year-Old Stone Weight Inscribed in Hebrew Found Near Western Wall have 318 words, post on www.breitbart.com at November 24, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.