Should he be picked as the European People’s Party (EPP) lead candidate for the European Commission’s top job, Alexander Stubb vows to “work towards a carbon neutral Europe by 2045”. EURACTIV’s media partner Climate Home News reports. “The EU must put decarbonisation at the heart of its programme,” according to a set of proposals Stubb released last week as part of his campaign to become European Commission president. “The Paris Agreement was a good start, but we need to be more ambitious.” The former Finnish prime minister’s 2045 pledge goes further than targets currently being considered by the commission. A draft of the bloc’s long term climate strategy, published by Climate Home News’ partners EURACTIV, shows the commission will ask members states to look at three scenarios for 2050: cut emissions by 80%, 95% or reach net-zero. The European Commission’s long-term climate plan could be hamstrung by a semantic dispute over vague figures and a fear of failure left over from previous ill-fated attempts at ambitious climate action, EURACTIV has learned. Stubb said limiting warming to 2C was “necessary and will require tough measures on both emissions trading and effort sharing”. The Paris Agreement aims to keep warming “well below 2C” and at 1.5C… Read full this story
- Proposed EU-wide 'climate law' would set net-zero carbon target by 2050
- British Airways will be first UK airline to offset carbon footprint on all flights
- Campaigners call for laws to back up farming standards assurances
- Conservative Party leadership candidates on tax, Brexit and climate change
- Passenger planes could fly in V-shape flocks like migrating birds to cut down on carbon emissions
- Democrats outline sweeping legislation to make U.S. carbon neutral by 2050
- Labour leadership candidates - where they stand on Brexit policies and more
- Labour leadership: where do the candidates stand?
- Ursula von der Leyen, the EU's centripetal force
- Why Europe’s net neutrality plan is more controversial than US rules
EU candidate Alex Stubb calls for net-zero carbon by 2045 have 313 words, post on www.euractiv.com at October 23, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.