President Donald Trump said he told the US military and border authorities that a migrant caravan heading toward the United States from Central America represented a national emergency, as he vowed to cut aid to the region. “Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador were not able to do the job of stopping people from leaving their country and coming illegally to the U.S,” Trump wrote in a series of posts on Twitter . “We will now begin cutting off, or substantially reducing, the massive foreign aid routinely given to them.” Since Trump became president last year, the United States has already moved to sharply decrease aid to Central America. In 2016, the United States provided some $131.2 million in aid to Guatemala, $98.3 million to Honduras, and $67.9 million to El Salvador, according to official US data. By next year, those sums were projected to fall to $69.4 million for Guatemala, $65.8 million for Honduras, and $45.7 million in the case of El Salvador. Combined, the cuts amount to a reduction of almost 40 percent for the three nations. Thousands of mostly Honduran migrants crowded into the Mexican border city of Tapachula over the weekend after trekking on foot from the… Read full this story
- Trump Declares National Emergency, Takes No ‘Responsibility’
- Trump declares virus emergency; House passes aid package
- Donald Trump will sign today the immigration 'ban' he claims protects American jobs and brags his border wall is keeping the country 'very tight'
- Donald Trump vows to stop ALL immigration to the US to fight coronavirus & ‘protect jobs’
- White House confusion over Donald Trump's claim he will 'suspend immigration' by executive order as officials struggle to explain what he is going to do and Democrats call him 'xenophobe in chief'
- Bill Gates says Donald Trump is 'dangerous' for cutting $500million in funding to the WHO because the world 'needs them now more than ever' to stop the pandemic
- WHO chief says he 'regrets' Donald Trump's decision to suspend funding but reveals WHO's handling of Covid-19 will be reviewed after the pandemic
- Donald Trump's CDC director contradicts him over WHO funding 'freeze' saying body' STILL is a great partner' and 'we're continuing to work side by side'
- 'Thank you Mr. President - for doing YOUR JOB!' Andrew Cuomo launches total war on Donald Trump as president demands gratitude for helping New York, scorns his knowledge of the constitution and says: 'Maybe he should get up and go to work'
- UK will NOT follow Donald Trump by freezing its £200million-a-year funding for World Health Organisation after US president accused it of ‘accelerating pandemic’ by opposing his China travel ban
Donald Trump declares 'national emergency' as migrant caravan heads to US border have 423 words, post on www.dailyrecord.co.uk at October 22, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.