UNITED NATIONS – AFP US President Donald Trump takes his campaign to isolate Iran to the United Nations Security Council on Wednesday, chairing for the first time a meeting that will lay bare divisions between Washington and key allies. Trump will be wielding the gavel at the top UN body, where the United States this month holds the agenda-setting presidency of the 15-nation council that deals with the world’s most pressing security threats. Trump’s appearance in the formal setting of the Security Council chamber could trigger surprises. UN diplomats note that the US president has been known to stray from protocol and procedure. During his address to the General Assembly on Tuesday, Trump assailed Iran’s leaders, accusing them of sowing “chaos, death and destruction” and calling on world governments to isolate Tehran. Iranian President Hassan Rouhani shot back in his speech, denouncing leaders who have “xenophobic tendencies resembling a Nazi disposition” and slamming the planned council meeting as a “preposterous and abnormal act.” Meanwhile, Trump’s national security advisor John Bolton warned Tehran of “hell to pay” if it threatens the US or its allies. “If you cross us, our allies, or our partners; if you harm our citizens, if you… Read full this story
- New smears, new bizarre tales: Trump made 79 false claims last week
- America’s Saudi lobby
- PM and Trump talk trade and terror
- The Latest: France halts some arms exports to Turkey
- The Latest: Turkey says troops captured Syrian border town
- EXCLUSIVE: 'He was never shunned. He was never homeless.' Pete Buttigieg's brother-in-law says 2020 candidate's husband is loved by his family and calls claims of a rift a 'sob story'
- Full text: Jeremy Corbyn’s conference speech
Trump takes anti-Iran campaign to UN Security Council have 278 words, post on www.hurriyetdailynews.com at September 26, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.