The Ministry said that as per a warning of the World Organization for Animal Health, China reported its first outbreak of the deadly African swine fever (ASF) on August 1 in Liaoning province. Total four outbreaks of the fever had been reported in China with nearly 10,000 pigs from farms being killed and disposed of from August 1 to 25.
Worse, since the end of 2017, China, Russia, Poland, Hungary, Latvia, Moldova , Czech Republic , Romani, Finland and Zambia reported outbreaks of the pandemic.
African swine fever (ASF) is arguably the most dangerous swine disease worldwide. ASF virus (ASFV) is highly virulent for domestic swine and remains a global threat because no effective vaccine is available to eradicate the disease.
Because there has been no vaccine against the disease, accordingly, the Ministry said preventive measures must be placed on top priority as well as handling outbreaks in small area. Moreover, many countries have took strict control on quarantines , transportation plus set up biological safety farms.
The Ministry asked local governments to establish effective anti-smuggling stations and said that this is the only option at present to prevent the entry and spread of African swine fever. Sales of hog and pork products are banned through border crossings.
Additionally, vets enhance supervision on local pigs to early discover diseased ones and take samples for testing when suspecting.
Animal quarantine departments in the northern provinces of Lao Cai, Lang Son and Quang Ninh must tighten illegal transportation of pig and pork products because early 2018, pigs are brought into Vietnam from China when prices of pig in China are cheaper, the ministry informed.
By VAN PHUC – Translated by ANH QUAN
- Vietnam-based Viettel enters East African market
- Swine Flu: Top 20 Questions and Answers
- Swine flu: Causes, symptoms, and treatment
- Spatial Repellency Prevents Diseases
- Q fever: Causes, risks, and treatments
- Hay Fever (Allergic Rhinitis)
- Scarlet Fever Poised for a Comeback
- Ehrlichiosis: Symptoms, treatment, and prevention
- Gov’t adopts intellectual property strategy through 2030
- Dengue fever: Symptoms, treatment, and prevention