New Delhi (Sputnik) — India has doubled the import duty on as many as 328 textile products in a bid to provide relief to domestic manufacturers, a government statement said on Tuesday. Last month, the government increased import duties on 50 textile products. READ MORE: Need to Revive Regional Trade Agreements to Counter US Trade Policy: Economist © AFP 2018 / NARINDER NANUIndia Imposes 25% Safeguard Duty on Solar Cell Imports from China, MalaysiaLast week, the Confederation of Indian Textile Industry said in a release that in 2017-2018, India exported textile goods worth $1,362 million to China, but imports from China were to the tune of $2,905 million, indicating a trade deficit of $1,543 million. READ MORE: India Looks to China for Bailing Out its Sugar Industry Indian textile manufacturers have been nudging the government to ask China to give Indian textile products free access akin to the products from Vietnam, Indonesia, Pakistan and Cambodia. India was a market leader in cotton yarn, but has lost almost 50% of its market to Vietnam over the last three years, creating excess capacity in the system. India’s cotton yarn exports to China have decreased by 53% from 2013 to 2017, while Vietnam’s exports of cotton yarn to China have increased by approximately 88% during the same period.
- Coronavirus outbreak may promote India-made raw materials: Experts
- Imports of automobiles, textiles may be curbed in bid to reduce current account deficit
- Trump trade adviser Peter Navarro downplays China tariffs' impact on consumers
- Textiles minister Smriti Irani calls for innovation in tech textiles sector
- India may lose out on potential bulk drug boom for lack of policy sops
- Coronavirus: Has it thrown up an opportunity in crisis for India Inc?
- US lifts tariffs on key medical imports
- It is still possible for India, Pakistan to resolve issues: Ranil Wickremesinghe
- IKEA won't raise prices in India following import tax hike: executive
- New US bill could ban imported Chinese goods from Xinjiang amid forced labor concerns
India Doubles Tariffs on 328 Textile Items to Curb Chinese Imports have 308 words, post on sputniknews.com at August 7, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.