As part of Billboard’s celebration of the 60th anniversary of our Hot 100 chart this week, we’re taking a deeper look at some of the biggest artists and singles in the chart’s history. Here, we revisit Los del Rio’s “Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix),” which finished at No. 8 in our all-time Hot 100 singles ranking. Few people remember the “Macarena” fondly today. If you were alive when the Spanish-language song swept the globe in ‘96, the accompanying dance is emblazoned in your mind forever, but it probably doesn’t cause any nostalgia flare-ups. Mostly, Los del Rio’s “Macarena” is memory-banked into the same corner of the brain as leg warmers, pet rocks, planking, and other fads that make us question the herd mentality of our species. As Jon Stewart once said, “You have to remember one thing about the will of the people: It wasn’t that long ago that we were swept away by the ‘Macarena.’” But there’s no denying that this dance-driven hit by two over-the-hill Spaniards was as massive as it was unlikely. Perhaps more interesting than the song itself was its road to success. After all, cultural artifacts don’t become popular in a vacuum. The “Macarena” wasn’t wholly… Read full this story
- Robin Roberts reveals cancer has made her grateful to be turning 60
- 100,000 women just a phone call away from getting £2,500 more a year in their pension
- Strictly's Shirley Ballas brands Ranvir Singh and Giovanni Pernice's sensual Argentine tango 'so hot' as shocked fans claim they 'almost KISSED'
- Football legend Diego Maradona passes away
- Maradona brings joy to a fan one final time: Football legend turns and waves to overjoyed little girl in last ever footage of the star, filmed days before he died
- Vietnamese students to kick off new school year like never before
- Hot Stocks | Can bet on Ajanta Pharma, Bandhan Bank and REC for short term
- Gas boilers will be banned in just THREE YEARS: Boris Johnson orders ALL new homes to have electric heat pumps and hydrogen alternatives by 2023 in his Green Plan - but experts say he 'won't get anywhere near' his target on time
- Economist's prediction for Lafayette area: 1,400 jobs to be added next year, 4,900 in 2020
- Identical twins, 20, who dropped out of school are now making at least £100,000 each a year from video games they started creating aged 13 with no training
Hot 100 Turns 60: How the 'Macarena' Predicted Trends That Were Years Away have 388 words, post on www.billboard.com at August 3, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.