CAPE CORAL, Fla., — A Florida utilities crew discovered a fossil archeologists now believe may be of a woolly mammoth or mastodon.The crew was digging in a trench 17 feet below the ground in Cape Coral last month.The crew turned over the fossil to the city which brought in archeologists to assess it.Robert Carr with the Archeological and Historical Conservancy says the fossil fragment was probably part of the mammoth’s humorous bone, or upper arm.The fossil is roughly one foot long and 10 inches wide.He estimates the fossil is 12,500 to 250,000 years old, based on similar discoveries.According to the report, during that time “glacial retreat led to the formation of savannas across Florida and herds of mammoth, bison, antelope, and horse roamed the peninsula.”According to the Florida Museum of Natural History (FMNH), there are only two recorded mammoth fossil sites in Lee County.However, Carr believes there may be other fossil beds within the city with the remains of other extinct mammals.The City of Cape Coral plans to donate the fossil to the Cape Coral Historical Museum in the coming months.
- 104-year-old World War II veteran throws out laser first pitch on 4th of July
- Rozner: This pitcher answers 30-year-old Cubs question
- Treasure Hunting at Hershey, the World’s Largest Old-Car Swap Meet
- In This Florida County, 62 Percent of Car Thieves are Kids
- Murdered Florida woman's estranged husband, in-laws arrested in connection with brutal killing
- Fifteen years after ‘Moneyball,’ the Twins are finally embracing analytics — their way
- Grace Braeger Has Been Driving The Same Car For Fifty-Six Years. We Asked Her Why.
- Florida State player sets up GoFundMe after losing home to Hurricane Michael
- From columns to pool halls to sports bars, Missouri has plenty of gameday treasures to discover
- Ancient Elephants and Mastodons Were Totally Down With Inter-Species Boning
Fossil of woolly mammoth discovered in Florida, could be up to 250,000 years old have 297 words, post on www.abcactionnews.com at August 11, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.