The report also says that a system of gender recognition be introduced for people who are non-binary. According to the current act, children under the age of 16 can’t access gender recognition, whereas teenagers aged 16-17 have to undergo several psychiatric and medical processes before they change their gender. The report was prepared in accordance with a provision in the Act, which states that the legislation and its operation should be reviewed in two years. It was commissioned by Minister for Social Protection, Regina Doherty, and prepared by a review group, which consisted of department officials and trans activists, such as Sarah Philips. According to the report, there is no legal basis for the current division between under 16’s – who are not allowed to change their gender – and over 16’s who are. It recommends that if the children have parental permission, they should be allowed to switch their gender with a simple mechanism. Speaking about the report’s recommendations on Morning Ireland, Stephen O’Hare, CEO with Transgender Equality Network Ireland, states: “It is groundbreaking. A system that allows children of any age to have their gender recognised in itself will help alleviate the stress felt by children who are… Read full this story
- Priests sexually abused more than 1,000 children in Pennsylvania, grand jury report says
- U.S. warns of new reports Congo troops killing, raping women, children
- Feds don't follow-up on child immigrant placements, says new report from Sen. Rob Portman
- Mothers of 11 children found at "filthy" New Mexico compound arrested
- Worker Charged With Sexually Molesting Eight Children at Immigrant Shelter, New Records Show
- New report details sexual misconduct spanning seven decades at New York all-girls school
- Can Restorative Justice Change the Way Schools Handle Sexual Assault?
- Trauma doesn't have to define New Orleans children
- New Orleans City Council calls for increase in trauma services for children
- Parents of transgender kids appeal gender-change rules
Restrictions on children changing genders should be lifted – new report urges have 307 words, post on www.independent.ie at July 19, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.