How did Jean-Claude Juncker do it? The president of the European Commission achieved more in his visit with Donald Trump at the White House than he had probably even hoped for. Talk was of a “new phase” and a “phase of close friendship” between the US and the EU as the leaders announced negotiations aimed at eliminating tariffs and other barriers to trade. And all this following weeks and months of aggressive rhetoric from Trump targeting the EU, and in particular Germany. Expectations ahead of the meeting were consequently low. In recent weeks, Trump’s tweets, interviews and speeches to supporters were filled with accusations against the EU for its “unfair” trade practices. He described the EU as a “foe” of the United States and announced hefty future tariffs on European auto imports. Just one day before Juncker’s White House visit, no one in EU circles was expecting a breakthrough. The outcome of trade talks with the US may have surpised even Juncker (L) himself Changing winds in the US against Trump However — and this is one part of the answer to the question posed above — Juncker got lucky. Just as he was expected to arrive in Washington, the momentum… Read full this story
- Opinion: The problem with Donald Trump
- EU president warns Donald Trump: 'Appreciate your allies, you don't have many after all'
- Letters: Donald Trump should be awarded luxury accommodation when he comes to the UK
- Donald Trump banned from Sheffield during UK visit and labelled a ‘wasteman’ by city’s outspoken Lord Mayor
- Meeting Putin will be easier than talking to May – Donald Trump
- Donald Tusk in Twitter spat with Donald Trump ahead of NATO summit
- A summary of US President Donald Trump's many trade wars
- Harley-Davidson row: Donald Trump says administration working to bring other motorcycle companies to US
- US President Donald Trump demands more defence spending from Nato allies
- Top Donald Trump ally and ex-NYC mayor calls on Sadiq Khan to do his job and stop sniping at President
Opinion: EU solidarity successful against Donald Trump have 326 words, post on www.dw.com at July 26, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.