THANH HOA, Vietnam, June 4 (Reuters) – There’s almost more plastic than sand on this long, tree-lined beach: Plastic helmets, plastic furniture and the plastic leg of a shop mannequin all jut out of an ocean of blue plastic bags.Just south of the capital Hanoi, the once-peaceful and clean beach of Da Loc in Vietnam’s Thanh Hoa province, has been slowly suffocating under the weight of plastic waste for decades.”Plastic bags have been waste here since the first day we started using them,” said Pham Thi Lai, 60, a local seafood processor.”They put everything in a plastic bag. If they’re preserving shrimp or preserving fish, they put it in a plastic bag,” Lai said of local fishermen, many of whom shuck clam shells and dry shrimp between the mounds of plastic waste on the beach. 15 PHOTOS Plastic pollution in Indonesia See Gallery Plastic pollution in Indonesia A Vietnamese woman drives past recyclable plastic bottles at Xa Cau village, outside Hanoi, Vietnam June 5, 2018. REUTERS/Kham TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY FILE PHOTO: Fisherman boats are seen in a beach with plastic waste at a the beach in Thanh Hoa province, Vietnam June 4, 2018. REUTERS/Kham/Files Recycled plastic bottles are… Read full this story
- First signs of red tide detected near Florida's Gulf Coast
- What are the best beaches in New England?
- Your favorite household brands hope to bring zero waste to your doorstep
- Southie’s line in the sand is at M Street Beach
- 36 Hours in Rockaway Beach, Queens
- What’s new in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach this season
- Can the ‘Dirtiest Porn Ever’ help clean up our filthy beaches?
- French beaches at dawn set scene for solemn D-Day observance
- Red tide hurt Bonita Springs businesses , owners say
- Melting Greenland Is Awash in Sand
Vietnam beach awash with tide of blue waste have 291 words, post on www.aol.com at June 5, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.