US’s withdrawal is latest rejection of multilateral engagement after it pulled out of Paris climate agreement and 2015 Iran nuclear deal. Washington: The United States withdrew from a “hypocritical and self-serving” United Nations Human Rights Council on Tuesday over what it called chronic bias against Israel and a lack of reform, a move activists warned would make advancing human rights globally even more difficult. Standing with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo at the State Department, US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley slammed Russia, China, Cuba and Egypt for thwarting US efforts to reform the council. She also criticised countries which shared US values and encouraged Washington to remain, but “were unwilling to seriously challenge the status quo.” Read: Defective at its core: Donald Trump pulls US out of Iran nuke deal Washington’s withdrawal is the latest US rejection of multilateral engagement after it pulled out of the Paris climate agreement and the 2015 Iran nuclear deal. Also Read: Trump’s call to quit Paris accord takes ‘America First’ to ‘America Alone’ It also comes as the United States faces intense criticism for detaining children separated from their immigrant parents at the US-Mexico border. UN human rights chief Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein… Read full this story
- Jamal Khashoggi's family called to palace by Saudi royals
- Turkey arrests Emirati spies, probes Khashoggi link
- Donald Trump warns Erdoğan he'll see 'far more than sanctions' if Turkey's Syria invasion isn't 'humane' but won't say what that means and he complains that the Kurds 'didn't help us with NORMANDY'
- Kelly Craft confirmed as US ambassador to the UN
- Explore the Value and Importance of P20 Education Councils!
- Oakland hires anti-violence czar. Will he help the city reduce violent crime?
- Scoring a foreign policy self-goal
- For Nikki Haley, Dealing With Foreign Tyrants Is the Easy Part of the Job
- UK government puts forces on stand-by to protect Britons in Iran
- U.N. warns of "conflagration," Iran accuses Israel of "baseless" attack
US becomes first member to pull out of UN Human Rights Council have 322 words, post on www.asianage.com at June 19, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.