Today is Sunday, June 3, the 154th day of 2018. There are 211 days left in the year. Today’s Highlight in History:On June 3, 1968, pop artist Andy Warhol was shot and critically wounded at his New York film studio, known as “The Factory,” by Valerie Solanas, an actress and self-styled militant feminist who ended up serving three years in prison for assault. On this date:In 1621, the Dutch West India Co. received its charter for a trade monopoly in parts of the Americas and Africa. In 1781, Capt. Jack Jouett began riding his horse some 40 miles from Louisa County, Virginia, to Charlottesville, where Gov. Thomas Jefferson and other politicians were located, to warn of approaching British troops who intended to take them prisoner. Advertisement In 1888, the poem “Casey at the Bat” by Ernest Lawrence Thayer was first published in the San Francisco Daily Examiner. In 1918, “His Family” by Ernest Poole became the first novel to win the Pulitzer Prize. In 1937, Edward, The Duke of Windsor, who had abdicated the British throne, married Wallis Simpson in a private ceremony in Monts, France. In 1943, the “Zoot Suit Riots” began in Los Angeles as white servicemen clashed… Read full this story
- The History Behind the Birthright Citizenship Battle
- What's the Suez Canal and why does it matter if it's blocked? Its history may surprise you
- 20 years of turmoil: How 9/11 shaped our world today
- ‘It’s history’: A U.S. city finally says good riddance to a shameful symbol of racism
- MP Board Result 2020 Expected To Be Announced By June End; Check Here For Updates On MPBSE Results
- [Into the heart of the country] A stroll through palace grounds and 900 years of history
- Cardiff race riots: 'Teach history in schools' call
- OPINION: Reparations: A Bad Idea Based On Fake History From The 1619 Project
- AOC: Kirstjen Nielsen "oversaw one of the largest-scale human rights violations in recent history"
- Portland stabbings are a reminder of Oregon's long history of white supremacy
Today in History: June 3 have 317 words, post on www.troyrecord.com at June 3, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.