In sports, Haryana punches above its weight, partly on account of state incentives such as job security. This policy became the subject of controversy after the state government decided to levy a ‘tax’ of 33% on its employees’ earnings from professional sport or commercial endorsements to fund sports development. The move has for now been put on hold. Ajay Sura talks to Ashok Khemka, Haryana government’s principal secretary, sports department, on the subject: What prompted Haryana to notify new rules for sportspersons? This was necessitated in light of the suo motu cognisance taken by the Punjab and Haryana high court of Vijender Singh turning to professional boxing. The court noted how public resources, of employment and monetary benefits given to encourage representation of our country at sporting events, were being misused by a few who were turning professional for the sake of money. It was observed how public interest behind such incentives was being subverted by commercialisation. Flaws were noted in existing policies which necessitated reconsideration, and the court highlighted need for possible withdrawal of benefits in such cases. The sports department through a notification on April 30, 2018, after due approval, tried to fill this gap. The notification was… Read full this story
- Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju felicitates boxers Amit Panghal, Manish Kaushik with cash awards
- IFFI 2019: Lijo Jose Pellissery wins Best Director Award for 'Jallikattu'
- BusBot Project Wins Automated Vehicle Award at the ITS Australia National Awards 2019
- Vietnamese air monitoring app wins international tech award
- Sports Minister felicitates boxers Panghal, Kaushik with cash awards
- Three Indians win Golden Target award
- IFFI 2019: Lijo Jose Pellissery wins Best Director for Jallikattu, Particles wins Golden Peacock Award for the Best Film
- Hilary Mantel wins Costa Book Award
- Film on traditional theatre genre of ‘cai luong’ wins Golden Lotus Award
- Cash awards for best schools in Corporation
‘Sportspersons do not win medals because of cash awards … winning is a combination of potential, tenacity and luck’ have 295 words, post on blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com at June 17, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.