Russ Zimmer Asbury Park Press Published 3:00 p.m. UTC Jun 18, 2018 Some 25,000 New Jersey homes will be endangered within 20 years by regular tidal flooding powered by rising sea levels, according to a new analysis by the Union of Concerned Scientists. About 5,300 of those homes are in Ocean County, as both of the county’s barrier islands are among the most imperiled locations in the U.S. The threat is global in scope: More than $1 trillion in American real estate, including parts of Miami, Long Island and the San Francisco Bay area, will be in jeopardy by 2100. JERSEY SHORE BEACHES: This is why fecal bacteria sometimes takes over CLIMATE CHANGE: 5 signs it’s already begun in NJ But New Jersey is among the most vulnerable, data from the UCS’s “U.S. Coastal Property at Risk from Rising Seas” report shows. If the ocean encroaches 10 more inches by 2035, $9.6 billion in residential property would be enveloped in the Garden State. No other state has more at risk. As many as 376,000 people live in New Jersey homes that could be subject to damaging high tides an average of once every other week by the end of the century. That’s… Read full this story
- Jersey Shore Towns Cleaning Up After Storm Triggers Coastal Flooding: ‘A Mess’
- Commentary: As ice caps melt, Singapore a hot spot for sea-level rise
- Commentary: How effectively can Singapore adapt to sea level rise?
- Mangrove Forests Won't Survive Expected Sea-Level Rise by 2050 If Greenhouse Gas Emissions Aren't Reduced
- Singapore’s average sea level now 14cm higher than ‘pre-1970 levels’: Met Service
- Tides of change: Rising sea levels threaten homes on pristine paradise of Palau
- Winter Storm: Fears Of Flooding Hit Jersey Shore As Residents Experience Rare Significant Snowfall
- Commentary: Rising temperatures, fires and floods highlight importance of understanding weather extremes
- Commentary: How melting glaciers affect Indonesia – it's not just rising sea levels
- Singapore Budget 2020: New coastal and flood protection fund to protect Singapore against rising sea levels
Sea level rise: Jersey Shore town flooding predictions; $10B at risk have 320 words, post on eu.app.com at June 18, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.