MOSCOW – With Russian President Vladimir Putin watching, the national team opened the World Cup with a 5-0 rout of Saudi Arabia in a match between the lowest-ranked teams in the tournament. Despite widespread pessimism across the nation, Russia opened the 2018 World Cup with a huge 5-0 win over Saudi Arabia in front of a packed Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow on Thursday. It was a significant win for the Russians, who boosted their chances of progressing to the round of 16 with the lopsided victory. The Russian pressing That defensive commitment from the attackers exemplified Russia's tactical game plan. One of the team's supposed weaknesses entering the World Cup was its defence due to rampant injuries. The centre-back depth was so thin that 38-year-old Sergei Ignashevich had to come out of international retirement. However, thanks to the Russian's pressing from the midfield and forwards, Ignashevich and Ilya Kutepov – who only has eight caps for Russia – were barely tested. Saudi Arabia only completed 73 per cent of their passes and did not have a single shot on target. Russia won an astounding 80 duels, most of them in the middle third or final third. Those recoveries eventually led… Read full this story
- How did your team fare at the 2018 World Cup?
- 2018 World Cup: Google Doodle Celebrates World Cup Kick-Off In Russia
- 2018 World Cup and Russia through the eyes of a young Vietnamese superfan
- Wales head coach Chris Coleman to quit after 2018 World Cup
- GT World Cup: Vanthoor wins controversial qualification race
- World Cup play-offs, final qualifiers and friendlies: 10 things to look out for
- World Cup Fast Facts
- England World Cup fans will be 'safe in Russia,' says Russian ambassador
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic: my Sweden career is over even if they reach World Cup
- Sporting meltdown casts shadow over Portugal’s World Cup buildup
Russia Opens 2018 World Cup with a Huge 5-0 Win Over Saudi Arabia have 297 words, post on www.chiangraitimes.com at June 15, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.