In celebration of New York Magazine’s 50th anniversary, this series, which will continue through October 2018, tells the stories behind key moments that shaped the city’s culture. When the verdict came down from the Supreme Court, it was like a torpedo sent from Washington to New York City, sent to obliterate the political system that had governed the nation’s largest city for 90 years. With a unanimous ruling, the court decided that the Board of Estimate violated the principle of “one person, one vote.” They may as well have decided that the U.S. Senate and half of federal Cabinet agencies were unconstitutional too, and left 245 million Americans the task of figuring out what should come next. The year was 1989. The city was already consumed with crime and crack, riots and race, and now here was the highest court in the land telling New Yorkers that the only system of municipal government the city had ever known was a lie, one that screwed over the vast majority of its citizenry. “It was nothing short of revolutionary,” said Bruce Berg, professor of political science at Fordham University and author of Governing Gotham. It is impossible to imagine the New York City… Read full this story
- How to Vote in the New York City Primary in June
- How a Surprise Candidate Has Shaken Up a Key New York City Election
- Patience Spent, de Blasio Accuses Cuomo of Hurting New York City Out of ‘Revenge’
- Can Andrew Yang Make It in New York City Politics?
- Can Weed Legalization Tame New York City’s Illicit Market?
- The New York City Mayoral Race Has Been Weird. Here’s What You Need to Know
- A Guide to Ranked-Choice Voting in New York City: How It Works, What It Means, and How to Optimize Your Ballot
- Five Years After Her Breakout Hit, Young M.A. Is the Real Mayor of New York City
- New York City’s Clown-Car Mayoral Race
- New York City Plans a Central Park Mega-Concert to Celebrate Reopening
Not That Long Ago, New York City Really Was Run From a Smoke-filled Backroom have 329 words, post on nymag.com at June 14, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.