By AFP PHNOM PENH: China has pledged around $100 million to help modernise Cambodia’s military, the government said Tuesday, the latest largesse showered on the country amid a crackdown on dissent before national elections. The pledge came from visiting Defence Minister Wei Fenghe, who arrived on Saturday for talks with his Cambodian counterpart and Prime Minister Hun Sen, said defence ministry spokesman General Chhum Socheat. Wei, who leaves Wednesday, “promised to support, to train, and to help reform our military to be modernised like others”, he said, adding that the two countries would next year hold their third series of joint military exercises known as “Golden Dragon”. The aid pledge comes at a time of worsening relations between the United States and Cambodia, which scrapped joint military exercises last year. Hun Sen also accused the US of assisting in a plot by the opposition to topple his government, claims dismissed by the current ambassador as “absurd”. Hun Sen is looking to extend his 33-year grip on power in the vote next month after the main opposition party was dissolved last year and one of its leaders arrested. Analysts say unwavering support from China in the form of loans and investment… Read full this story
- India, Indonesia to Hold Joint Air Combat Drills
- Riot cops march through Hong Kong using tear gas to stop fresh protest outside a police station after two nights of chaos and threat of China sending in troops after military convoy was spotted at a sports stadium near the border
- US, South Korea to Hold Joint Drills Next Week - Reports
- 2 Asian Allies Reweigh Their China Ties as Territorial Disputes Grow
- Are China's cheap loans to poor nations a development boost or a debt trap?
- Irking Turkey, Israel and Cyprus Begin Mountain Military Drills
- Why Kim Jong Un made a secret trip to China
- Deputy PM holds talks with Belarusian counterpart
- Defence White Paper 2016: Dependency on fuel imports 'a risk' amid South China Sea tensions
- Vietnam, Cambodia to hold first land border search, rescue drill
China pledges 100 million USD military aid to Cambodia; to hold joint military drill have 331 words, post on www.newindianexpress.com at June 20, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.