The Unified team will now face Japan in the semifinals. News 04 May 2018, 14:20 IST What’s the story?The World Table Tennis Championship 2018 witnessed history after North and South Korea decided to use sports as a platform to promote peace. The two Koreas were to compete against each other earlier in a quarterfinal match, with Japan waiting in the semis. Taking the opportunity to promote peace between the two nations, they decided to form a unified team and take on Japan.Before the quarterfinal clash, the two teams informed the umpires that they did not wish to compete against each other and preferred to make a united appearance. This took them directly to the semis.In case you didn’t know…A similar step such as this dates back to 1991 when North and South Korea played as a united team in the World Table Tennis Championship. Hyun Jung-hwa of South Korea and Li Bun-hui of North teamed up to win against crowd favourites China.The heart of the matterHistory has repeated itself 27 years later with this inspiring gesture to promote peace. The two Korean teams also marched together at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeonchang at the opening ceremony.The decision to form… Read full this story
- Pencak silat team brings home medal shower for Vietnam at 2018 Asian Games
- US-Japan summit sounds warning to Seoul: Korea Herald
- North Korea to skip 2021 Tokyo Olympics over coronavirus concerns
- North Korea Says it Won’t Participate in Tokyo Olympics
- Blinken urges China to convince N.Korea to denuclearise
- World Table Tennis Day: Top 5 sensational triumphs by Indians at Ultimate Table Tennis
- COVID-19: North Korea pulls out of Tokyo Olympics over pandemic fears
- Fierce derby between Japan and South Korea sparking more concern than excitement
- Why is North Korea testing weapons again?
- On North Korea, Biden should borrow from Trump's Singapore declaration
World Team Table Tennis Championships 2018: North and South Korea join hands to form Unified team for semifinal against Japan have 298 words, post on www.sportskeeda.com at May 4, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.