SINGAPORE: Team Singapore is set to send its largest contingent to the upcoming Asian Games this year, with 246 athletes from 22 sports making the first cut on Wednesday (May 30), the Singapore National Olympic Council (SNOC) announced. The number could grow, with athletes who have yet to meet the qualifying mark given until Jun 15 to meet the selection criteria, said SNOC. Those who meet the sixth-placing results of the 2014 Asian Games before the deadline will be considered. Among the sports Team Singapore will be competing in are aquatics, bowling, golf, rowing, athletics, table tennis, shooting and squash. Football did not appear to have made the cut. In the previous edition of the Asian Games, Team Singapore was represented by 223 athletes and won five gold, six silver and 14 bronze medals. “Our athletes have made some breakthroughs at the major Games in recent times. With the largest contingent to the Asian Games ever, we hope to see more inspiring and credible performances by Team Singapore in Indonesia,” said Mr Chris Chan, SNOC secretary-general. “Team Singapore will also be making their debut in synchronised swimming, ju jit-su and paragliding. The synchronised swimming team is making an entry into the Asiad with a young team… Read full this story
- Asian Games 2018: Late Gurjit Kaur strikes vs Korea send India women's hockey team into semis
- Asian Games gold medallist rower Dattu Bhokanal credits teammates for helping him overcome fever
- Asian Games diary: Have you seen Indonesia president's bike stunt?
- PM Modi's 2018 Singapore visit enhanced India's presence in ASEAN: Indian diplomat
- Park Hang-seo nominated as Asian best coach by Fox Sport
- Vietnam defender among most followed Southeast Asian footballers on Instagram
- Asian Champions Trophy: Title holders India face tough challenge
- The best games for 2020: 31 games you need to try
- All the FREE PS4, Xbox and PC games you can get this month – including Tomb Raider and Saints Row
- Singapore retailers must reassess digital strategy post-pandemic
Team Singapore set to send largest contingent to Asian Games have 309 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at May 30, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.