The EU is to push for an optional six-month extension to the Brexit transition period to be built in to the UK’s withdrawal agreement, The Independent understands. European Commission officials will seek the extension to give the EU added flexibility, but it comes as key figures in the UK also look to extend the transition to give time to implement new customs arrangements. Next week a crunch meeting will see Theresa May’s top ministers try to agree what kind of customs relations to seek in negotiations, with both of her proposed options potentially needing more time than the current transition allows. Read more May has found another way to stall making a decision on Brexit The Independent has been told by two sources in Brussels that the EU wants the six-month extension to protect its own interests, as Brexit negotiations come to their most critical phase. One said: “Of course they are aware of the sensitivity around the issue in London, but it is about giving the commission more leeway if needed, at the end of the transition to get things in place.” A second official in Brussels said it would be normal for the commission to seek the added time, simply as a… Read full this story
- Germany 'would accept UK exit from EU' to protect migration rules
- No-deal Brexit would be economic lunacy, say UK manufacturers
- Boris Johnson: UK will leave EU in October, deal or no deal
- Boris Johnson's election gamble could cost him everything -- including Brexit
- Brexit deal explained: backstops, trade and citizens' rights
- Theresa May warns Brussels bosses we’ll pull £1bn of funding from EU after German plot to freeze us out
- UK employers condemn 'ignorant, elitist' Brexit immigration report
- David Cameron promises 'one last go' at EU migration curbs
- A party at war: could Brexit split spell end of the Tories?
- Boris Johnson resigns over ‘turd’ Brexit plan – but Theresa May WON’T face leadership challenge
Brexit: Brussels set to push for six-month extension to UK's transition period out of EU have 318 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at May 11, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.