With total investment capital of VND1.15 trillion (nearly USD50.5 million), the project is built on 75 hectares of land in Bau Ngu Reservoir, under the build-own-operate format, according to Tran Huy Duc, Chairman of the project investor – Truong Thanh Development, Construction and Investment Joint Stock Company.
The plant is expected to supply all 50 MW of electricity for the national grid before June 2019.
Once operational, the Bau Ngu reservoir solar power plant will provide a considerable volume of solar power, helping to local boost socio-economic development.
Chairman of the Ninh Thuan People’s Committee Luu Xuan Vinh said according to international organisations, Ninh Thuan is eligible to develop renewable energy. It has the average wind speed of 7.1 metres per second at a height of 65 metres, while the number of sun hours is about 2,600 – 2,850 per year.
The province is also less vulnerable to storms, so it is an ideal destination for investment in renewable energy, he said, adding that Ninh Thuan considers renewable energy development one of the six pillar sectors to make economic breakthroughs, thereby soon turning the province into a renewable energy centre of Vietnam.
The Government targets the solar power output in the province at 2,000 MW by 2020 and 8,000 – 10,000 MW by 2030.
Apart from the Bau Ngu plant, the provincial People’s Committee has approved 48 other solar power projects to make survey.
The construction of the first solar power project in Ninh Thuan, which has a capacity of 30 MW, began in January 2018. The Bau Ngu plant is the second project to be built./.CPV/VNA
- NinhThuan kicks off construction of Vietnam’s largest solar power plant
- $38mn solar power plant to be built in south-central Vietnam
- Ninh Thuan develops large-scale fields
- Discovering oldest brocade weaving village in Ninh Thuan
- WATCH: Sky Above New York City Turns Teal Blue Following Power Plant Explosion
- Oxy starts first solar farm to power oil production
- Solar-Powered Plane Prepping for Round-World Trip
- Solar-Powered Plane Takes First Tentative Flight
- It’s Official: California to Get Space-Based Solar Power
- Solar power to save Kuala Lumpur International 2.1m. RM per year in energy costs