(AFP) — The leaders of North and South Korea agreed Friday to pursue a permanent peace and the complete denuclearisation of the divided peninsula, as they embraced after a historic summit laden with symbolism. In a day of bonhomie including a highly symbolic handshake over the Military Demarcation Line that divides the two countries, the pair issued a declaration on “the common goal of realising, through complete denuclearisation, a nuclear-free Korean peninsula”.Upon signing the document, the two leaders shared a warm embrace, the culmination of a summit filled with smiles and displays of friendship in front of the world’s media. They also agreed that they would this year seek a permanent end to the Korean War, 65 years after the hostilities ended in an armistice rather than a peace treaty. Moon would visit Pyongyang in “the fall”, the two leaders said, also agreeing to hold “regular meetings and direct telephone conversations”. The so-called Panmunjom Declaration capped an extraordinary day unthinkable only months ago, as the nuclear-armed North carried out a series of missile launches and its sixth atomic blast. Kim said he was “filled with emotion” after stepping over the concrete blocks into the South, making him the first North… Read full this story
- South Korea-U.S. war games will take place quietly to avoid a conflict with North Korea
- Kim Jong-un Offers South Korea Rare Apology for Killing of Official
- Trump to South Korea: Pay for missile defense system or else
- World War 3: Joe Biden's South Korea plan could 'halt nuclear conflict' with North
- South Korea’s New Political Darling Is Kim Jong Un
- Tokyo Olympics: No olive branches for Japan and South Korea as divisions deepen
- South Korea's military captures North Korean who crossed heavily fortified border
- Trump and Kim Jong Un's approval ratings have reached their highest ever marks in South Korea, poll finds
- Trump says he likes North Korea's Kim, calls South Korea President Moon "weak"
- US Asia allies Japan, South Korea better China ties despite concerns
North, South Korea Commit to Denuclearisation in Historic Summit have 323 words, post on www.breitbart.com at April 27, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.