Consumer and activist groups called Monday for an investigation into Google-owned YouTube for allowing advertising to be targeted at children in apparent violation of US law. Consumer groups seek probe of YouTube over ads for kids, illustration photo: AFP The organizations said that although YouTube claims that the site is only for users 13 and up, Google generates significant profits from kid-targeted advertising on the video-sharing service. Twenty-three organizations signed a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), arguing that YouTube is among the most popular online platforms for children and offers many programs designed and promoted for children. According to the complaint, Google collects personal information about minors on YouTube, including location, unique device identifiers and mobile telephone numbers, and uses that to target advertisements to kids across the internet, apparently without their parents’ consent. It noted that YouTube contains child-oriented channels such as ChuChu TV Nursery Rhymes & Kids Songs, with millions of subscribers, and that advertisers pay Google a premium to place their ads on a “parenting and family” lineup including channels aimed at children. “For years, Google has abdicated its responsibility to kids and families by disingenuously claiming YouTube — a site rife with popular cartoons,… Read full this story
- Asbestos found in some crayons, consumer group finds
- OK Google, why is YouTube still such a cesspool for kids?
- Autistic kids could lose care as Florida cracks down on Medicaid fraud
- A guide to the racism scandal that’s tearing Beauty YouTube apart
- Psych techniques used to keep kids online condemned
- ‘California is burning:’ Democratic group attacks McClintock on wildfires
- Hooking Kids on Tech: Advocates condemn psych tactics that keep kids online
- Kansas is one of few states without laws to help dyslexic kids. Are changes coming?
- Children’s advocates condemn psychological techniques used to keep kids online
- New kids' playground in Minneapolis boasts power tools, saws, old rusty Honda
Consumer groups seek probe of YouTube over ads for kids have 306 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at April 9, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.