The European Commission has threatened to introduce legislation on so-called fake news by the end of the year as part of its strategy to clamp down on online disinformation before the 2019 EU elections. The Commission has given online platforms until July to draft a non-binding code of conduct aimed at reducing false information on social media. But if that strategy does not limit the spread of disinformation campaigns and the amount of fake accounts on the platforms, the EU executive said it will announce by December whether it will propose a hard law. Mariya Gabriel, the EU digital Commissioner who has overseen the bloc’s strategy on fake news, told reporters on Thursday (26 April), “There’s no time to lose looking ahead to the 2019 European election. “We need to be particularly vigilant and fight disinformation tactics, in particular targeting electoral processes.” Gabriel and Julian King, the Commissioner in charge of the EU security union, told a news conference in Brussels that they want to prevent developments in Europe that might be similar to the spread of fake information on social media ahead of the 2016 US presidential election. Facebook revealed last autumn that a Kremlin-linked agency paid for political advertising… Read full this story
- New Malaysian government repeals law banning 'fake news'
- UK committee suggests Facebook pay fines for ‘fake news’
- Fake News: Journalist Who Promoted False Stories Prevented from Leading State Broadcaster
- Facebook offers tool to combat fake news in Kenya ahead of polls
- Infowars’ Alex Jones faces existential courtroom battle over limits of fake news
- Fake news 'crowding out' real news
- The Fake-News Fallacy
- If only our fake president acted more like the 'fake' news media he hates so much
- Kris Kobach, who heads Trump’s commission on voter fraud, brands reports of states' refusal 'fake news'
- What did the fake news probe find?
Commission threatens to legislate on ‘fake news’ ahead of 2019 EU election have 297 words, post on www.euractiv.com at April 25, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.