By Alyssa Pereira, SFGATE Published 2:03 pm, Monday, April 2, 2018 Now Playing: Grindr Reportedly Sharing the HIV Status of Its Users With Other Companies According to Buzzfeed News, the dating app for gay men has been sharing the private information with Apptimize and Localytics, two companies that help to optimize apps. SINTEF, a Norwegian nonprofit and research organization, was the first to notice that users’ HIV status was being shared. Antoine Pultier, a researcher at SINTEF, says that HIV information is bundled up and sent together with users’ GPS data, phone ID and email. The HIV status is linked to all the other information. That’s the main issue. I think this is the incompetence of some developers that just send everything, including HIV status. Grindr then responded to the report, saying that the two companies help to make the app better and that the information is not sold elsewhere. Thousands of companies use these highly-regarded platforms. These are standard practices in the mobile app ecosystem. No Grindr user information is sold to third parties. Media: Wibbitz Grindr, a very popular gay dating and “hook-up” app with millions of worldwide daily active users, has reportedly been sharing users’ HIV statuses and… Read full this story
- Facebook says Apple's new privacy rules could spare its own apps but hit smaller companies
- Protests, partying and perfect hangover cures: an alternative student survival guide
- Sony says more first-party PlayStation games will arrive on PC
- The reinvention of radical protest: life on the frontline of the Aids epidemic
- Senators want to ban TikTok from US government devices over espionage fears
- Facebook Said It Removed A Militia Event Page Threatening Violence In Kenosha. It Didn’t.
- US election 2020 latest news: Trump says claims he called John McCain a ‘loser’ are ‘an attempt to influence election’
- How Meru Cabs uses technology innovation to race ahead of competition
- The best Android apps (September 2020)
- The best iPhone apps (September 2020)
Buzzfeed: Grindr sharing users' HIV status and location with third-party companies have 313 words, post on www.sfgate.com at April 2, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.