The period of 1998-2018 can be broken down into three main eras of dominance by three international teams. Rod Macqueen’s Wallaby team of 1998-2002, Clive Woodward’s England team of 2003-2007, and the All Blacks pretty much dominating from 2010 onwards, despite serious but intermittent challenges from the Rugby World Cup-winning Springboks from 2007-2009. During these periods of dominance, when each team was at its peak, Australia (1999), England (2003), and the All Blacks (2011 and 2015) were rewarded by holding aloft the Rugby World Cup trophy. It is not surprising these teams all featured outstanding flyhalves in their starting lineups. Hence, the commonly held view that a team can’t win a Rugby World Cup without an exceptional No 10. The anomaly is probably South Africa’s Rugby World Cup final win over England in 2007. Butch James was a solid flyhalf/inside centre who never locked down the ‘Bok flyhalf position due to leg injuries and suspensions. He relied heavily on Fourie du Preez, Francois Steyn and Percy Montgomery to share his playmaking and kicking roles in that tournament, although his defence nullified Jonny Wilkinson quite well in the final. Montgomery actually scored the most points of any player in that World… Read full this story
- GMB viewers accuse Ben Shephard of 'cutting off' co-host Kate Garraway during their 'first row in 20 years' as they debate reclining seats on planes
- Kottiyoor rape case: Fr Robin sentenced to 20 years' rigorous imprisonment
- 'We needed to follow our own paths': Fern Britton speaks out on split from Phil Vickery after 20 years of marriage as star insists she's feeling 'confident, strong and indestructible'
- The future is bright: This 20-year-old pair is lighting up the Shield
- Jay Rayner: my 20 years as a restaurant critic
- RCA Promotion Exec Wendy Goodman Exiting After 20 Years
- Coronation Street’s Tina O’Brien shares incredible 20 year throwback with Jack P Shepherd to when they were kids on set together
- Zion & Lennox Announce First U.S. Tour in 20 Years
- Angel Cast Reunites for Series' 20-Year Anniversary
- Celebrate 20 years of Tao, with 66 artists this weekend
Who was the best flyhalf of the last 20 years? have 330 words, post on www.theroar.com.au at February 16, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.