CNN national security analyst John Kirby is a retired rear admiral in the US Navy who was a spokesman for both the State and Defense departments in the Obama administration. Meagan McDowell is his daughter. The opinions expressed in this commentary are their own. (CNN)I remember a therapist telling me not to worry about how my kid got sick. Meagan was anorexic. That much we knew. The focus, he said, needed to be on making her well again, not on trying to figure out how she got to the point where she hated herself and her body. I understood that. Or at least I tried to. Along with my amazing wife, Donna, I put as much energy as I could into every family therapy session and every possible solution we explored. Anti-depression drugs. Art therapy. Music therapy. Group sessions. Individual sessions. Sessions with just Donna and me. Sessions without Donna. We tried it all, and while not all of it made a difference, I believe we worked hard to find a way through. Meagan had been a good athlete, an equestrian. It wasn’t long before we had to take her out of the saddle. Emaciated and weak, she just wasn’t… Read full this story
- 'I'd eat a whole loaf of bread with butter': Psychologist who battled a binge eating disorder for 20 YEARS reveals how she lost 22 kilos in eight months
- 'I was dying to be perfect': Tammin Sursok reveals her shock EIGHT year eating disorder which began when she starred on Home and Away... after being 'tormented as an overweight kid'
- Nadia Sawalha, Loose Women star, reveals eating disorder
- Diagnosed with anorexia two years ago, Amanda is one of the forgotten victims of eating disorders
- Why you don't have to be underweight to suffer with an eating disorder
- Netflix’s ‘To The Bone’ offers a dialogue around eating disorders
- Normal body weight can hide eating disorder: Study
- Demi Lovato speaks about her eating disorder in new Instagram post
- Changing the Tide for the Severely Ill Eating Disordered
- Eating Disorder Symptoms and Shame
Surviving and thriving after a 6-year battle with an eating disorder have 336 words, post on edition.cnn.com at February 23, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.