Britons visiting France were told to expect white hell today as large parts of the country including Paris ground to a halt because of heavy snowfalls. Usually high-speed Eurostar train services from London to Paris had to slow down, as services were also cancelled throughout the day. The French capital was the worst hit by the weather as 7inch falls blocked motorways and railway lines, leaving thousands trapped in cars and stations. By 9am on Wednesday a record 460 miles of traffic jams were logged around Paris, with 1500 lorries stacked up and at least 2000 motorists stuck in their vehicles. A Eurostar statement read: ‘Our apologies to passengers travelling today. Due to the adverse weather conditions in the UK and in France, speed restrictions are put in place. ‘This means that your journey could be affected and that the arrival time of your train might be delayed.’ There were also early Eurostar cancellations, with the company offering compensation and help organising accommodation for stranded passengers. All bus services ground to a halt in Paris, along with many rail and Metro services, with roads including the N118 heading south out of the city shut too. Concerns were also growing for… Read full this story
- Killer coronavirus will hit Britain 'within days': Race is on to find vaccine as UK scientists prepare to fly out to hot spots
- France Unveils Pension Reforms, Setting Up Part 2 in Battle With Unions
- France to Unveil Pension Reforms, Setting Up Part 2 in Battle With Unions
- More than 1,400 migrants are evicted from Paris's biggest makeshift camp as riot police and bulldozers move in
- Pension protest at France's biggest hydro-dam creates power shortfall
- Mali: France facing a formidable enemy
- PICS: Rioting Continues in France Over Alleged Police Rape
- MEP Nathalie Loiseau: France 'is not in chaos'
- Paris hand-shakes on Libya peace deal mask deep fractures
- Paris Jackson oozes hippie-chic style as she and beau Gabriel Glenn's band play a show aboard a boat during Paris Haute Couture Week
Paris in gridlock as France is hit by heavy snowfalls have 319 words, post on www.standard.co.uk at February 7, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.