Sixty-year-old Thikra Alwash, only woman mayor of a Middle East capital, faces mountainous task ahead 0SHARES Share Tweet Email Baghdad Mayor Thikra Alwash, 60-year-old civil engineer and only woman mayor of a Middle East capital, speaks to civilians during a tour at al-Rashid street in the Iraqi capital on January 29, 2018. Thikra wants to revive her war-torn city, fix its decrepit infrastructure and twin it with Paris — another female-led metropolis. PHOTO:AFP The mayor of Baghdad wants to revive her war-torn city, fix its decrepit infrastructure and twin it with Paris — another female-led metropolis. Thikra Alwash, a 60-year-old civil engineer and only woman mayor of a Middle East capital, faces a Herculean task. She has given herself 10 years to revive the city, heart of the Abassid Caliphate and the centre of Arab and Muslim civilisation for five centuries. Alwash has prioritised repairing war-scarred infrastructure and restoring the city’s heritage — but to do so, she needs to find the money. “When I took up my post in 2015, the municipality was bankrupt. I was told that I had to find the financing myself,” she told AFP. “They chose a woman because we know how to pay attention to… Read full this story
- Rikers 2.0: inside the battle to build four new prisons in New York City
- China's 'eco-cities': empty of hospitals, shopping centres and people
- Welcome to Fear City! How New York police issued an unprecedented pamphlet in 1975 warning tourists to stay off the streets as the city grappled with rocketing crime and grime as it teetered on the brink of bankruptcy
- The city that privatised itself to death: 'London is now a set of improbable sex toys poking gormlessly into the air'
- Sí, seniors: the Chilean city with grand plans to be the best place to grow old
- Put us on the map, please: China's smaller cities go wild for starchitecture
- Is the gentrification of cities inevitable – and inevitably bad?
- Why Frank Lloyd Wright’s Baghdad Opera House Never Came To Be
- States, Cities Plan Robust Defense of Climate Science in Donald Trump Era
- Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome issues RFQs for MovEBR Program Managers
Baghdad mayor has ambitious plans for her city have 346 words, post on tribune.com.pk at February 7, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.