A report at the meeting held in the city on January 17 to review the department’s performance last year and deploy tasks for this year said the department had retrieved tax debts of VND1.115 trillion, reaching 118.8% of target and up 326% over 2016.
In the fight against smuggling and trade fraud, the department has dealt with 1,598 violations, an increase of 6.3% over the preceding year.
This year, the department has been assigned to collect VND108 trillion for the State budget. The department said it was determined to meet or surpass the target despite the challenge.
Nguyen Xuan Binh, head of the department’s Customs Control and Supervision Division, said the target was lower than last year, but it was still a tall order.
Under free-trade agreements that have come into effect, most tariff lines have fallen to zero. For instance, car imports from ASEAN countries will enjoy zero tariff this year. Therefore, collections from import tax will fall, he said.
The volume of petrol imported through ports in HCM City has fallen, he said, adding that budget collection from petrol, iron and steel and fertilises had also gone down year after year.
In addition, import tariff on auto parts will be also disappear if they meet conditions set by the Government.
Speaking at the meeting, Vu Thi Mai, Deputy Minister of Finance, praised efforts made by the department in the past year and suggested it map out measures now so it can accomplish or surpass the assigned target.
The measures aim to combat smuggling and trade fraud, enhance inspection after customs’ clearance, retrieve tax debts and others, she said.
She also asked the department to enhance administrative reform, modernise customs activities and use automated systems for seaport and airport customs supervision and management.
Tran Vinh Tuyen, vice chairman of the HCM City People’s Committee, said the city would organise more dialogues between businesses and the customs sector to solve difficulties faced by enterprises.
In addition, the city would work to create more favourable conditions for import-export activities via ports in the city, he said.
- New Vietnamese ambassadors hoped to help with HCM City’s development
- Nearly 1.3 tonnes of synthetic drugs seized in HCM City in nine months
- EuroDry Ltd. to Host Investor Day in New York City on Thursday, December 13, 2018
- Euroseas Ltd. to Host Investor Day in New York City on Thursday, December 13, 2018
- HCM City seeks innovative startup cooperation with Australia’s Victoria state
- City scrambling to meet ‘ambitious’ goal, find sites for new shelter beds
- Santa Cruz City Council Special Meeting: Renter Protections : Indybay
- Parma City Schools Superintendent reflects on 2018's ups and downs
- Meet the 2018 Bostonians of the Year: Ayanna Pressley and Alex Cora
- Butler Council holds final meeting of 2018