Google made a mistake on Saturday night showing that Iraq advanced to the semifinals of the 2018 AFC U23 Championship, when it was the Vietnamese team that had won the quarterfinal game.
After Vietnam’s epic victory over Iraq last night, many supporters were astonished to find a completely different result when trying to search for the time of Vietnam’s upcoming match in the semifinals.
Upon capturing such common keywords as ‘Asian U23 schedule’ and ‘AFC U23 semifinals’ on Google, Internet users saw that the semifinal game would be between Iraq and Qatar.
The wrong information was there for several hours after the quarterfinal game ended on Saturday, upsetting many Vietnamese football fans.
In reality, Vietnam will face Qatar in the semifinals on January 23.
The Vietnamese team earned their rightful spot after a historic victory over the Iraqis at Changshu Stadium in China.
The players had taken the lead for two times before drawing 3-3 against Iraq after 120 minutes in the thrilling game. They continued to beat the Iraqis 5-3 in a tense penalty shootout.
Ha Lam Tu Quynh, Communications and Public Relations Manager of Google Vietnam, told Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper that search results of the site are sourced from other information websites on the Internet.
“There were some mistakes in the schedule of the semifinal matches. We had reviewed our source of information and updated the correct result within the same day,” Quynh continued.
Google also made another error by mixing up the times of the two semifinal games.
While the Uzbekistan-South Korea battle is set at 3:00 pm and the Vietnam-Qatar game at 6:30 pm on January 23 (Vietnam time), the schedule was listed in the opposite order.
A similar mistake was also made by Wikipedia on Saturday night.
By Sunday morning, all information had been corrected.
The AFC Under-23 Championship, held from January 9 to 27, is a biennial competition featuring 16 of Asia’s top teams in the age group.
Japan beat South Korea to win the championship at the 2016 edition in Qatar.
- Vietnam games named among top five fixtures of AFC U23 Championship
- Quang Hai’s goal in the snow selected as one of eight iconic strikes at AFC U23 Champs
- VN Football Federation's Vice President to manage AFC U23 champs
- Hai’s goal selected as iconic strike at AFC U23 Champs
- Strike by Nguyen Quang Hai named among Iconic AFC U23 Goals
- U23 team get training in RoK for AFC U23 Championship
- Hải’s goal in the snow selected as one of eight iconic strikes at AFC U23 Champs
- Tuấn to manage AFC U23 championship
- Popular, this one is! Baby Yoda is revealed as the most Googled baby of 2019 - beating out Baby Sussex, Psalm West and Baby Shark, despite only making his TV debut in November
- Young players to train in RoK for Asian U23 champs