The French economy notched up its fastest growth in 10 years in 2017, expanding by 1.9 percent, the national statistics institute INSEE calculated on Tuesday. The figure, in line with forecasts by both INSEE and the Bank of France, represented a marked pick-up from 2016, when gross domestic product grew by 1.1 percent. The economy performed particularly strongly in the fourth quarter of last year when GDP expanded by 0.6 percent, the statisticians calculated. The government had been pencilling in growth of 1.7 percent for last year. But Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire recently hinted that the performance could be even better, saying that “growth is solid. It may be close to 2.0 percent in 2017.” The acceleration in economic activity was driven largely by increased investment, which was up 3.7 percent last year, INSEE said. Consumer spending increased by 1.3 percent, even if consumption growth slowed in the fourth quarter. Exports also picked up, growing by 3.5 percent in 2017, compared with 1.9 percent a year earlier, while imports were up 4.3 percent. That meant that France’s overall net foreign trade continued to weigh on growth, knocking 0.4 percentage point off GDP, INSEE said. Looking ahead to this year, the institute said it expected the current growth momentum to… Read full this story
- Thinktank predicts £800bn hit to economy in UK over next 10 years
- IMF calls for Mideast sovereign wealth funds to boost local economies
- Covid-19: Look to Agriculture to boost Nigerian economy, Shuaib tells Buhari, Investors
- ‘We’ve Lost 10 Years of Innovation. This Decade Has Been Boring for the Web.’
- U.S. Economy Contracts at Fastest Pace Since Great Recession, Worse Still to Come
- 'Festive season will be key for economic recovery; GST holiday & scrappage policy can boost Auto'
- The Hindu Explains | What corporate tax cut means for the Indian economy
- Bank of England hints at quantitative easing as growth falters again
- E-commerce provides opportunities for businesses to boost exports
- Vietnam PM says economy must grow faster than 2.7% IMF forecast
Boost for France as economy clocks up fastest growth in 10 years have 310 words, post on www.thelocal.fr at January 30, 2018. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.