Are you in Zimbabwe? We want to hear how you’re reacting to Robert Mugabe’s resignation. Contact CNN via WhatsApp at +1 347-322-0415. Harare, Zimbabwe (CNN)Robert Mugabe resigned as Zimbabwe’s President on Tuesday after 37 years of autocratic rule, finally succumbing to the pressure of a military takeover and the humiliation of impeachment. The announcement came minutes into a joint session of the Zimbabwean Parliament in Harare, convened to prise the 93-year-old from power. As the speaker read out a letter from Mugabe, lawmakers broke out in thunderous applause. The impeachment proceedings were immediately suspended. Mugabe’s successor, according to a spokesman for the ZANU-PF party, will be former Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa, whose firing by Mugabe precipitated the crisis. In the streets outside, crowds erupted in rapturous celebrations, dancing and cheering in joy, raising their fists and waving Zimbabwean flags. Read More Zimbabwe’s members of Parliament celebrate after Mugabe’s resignation. It was the culmination of an extraordinary week in the history of Zimbabwe that began when the country’s military leaders staged an unprecedented intervention to prevent the ascent to power of Mugabe’s 52-year-old wife, Grace. When the crisis started, it bore all the hallmarks of a coup. At the end, it… Read full this story
- Former Zimbabwe leader Mugabe in Singapore hospital since May: President
- Wonder Woman vet Lynda Carter, 69, breaks her silence on the death of her husband of 37 years Robert A Altman at age 73 with a heartbreaking note: 'He is the love of my life and always will be'
- Wonder Woman's Lynda Carter heartbroken after 'love of my life' husband of 37 years dies
- Lowell School Committee Member Robert Hoey Resigns After Using Anti-Semitic Slur On Local TV
- Valentine's Day announcement that Meghan Markle is pregnant comes exactly 37 years after front pages revealed Princess Diana was expecting Prince Harry
- Mugabe hopes his former party will lose Zimbabwe election
- Traditional beliefs, rituals fuel tensions over Mugabe's funeral
- Mugabe's body leaves Singapore for burial in Zimbabwe
- Zimbabwe plot video 'a smear'
- World Health Organization strips Mugabe of goodwill ambassador role
Robert Mugabe resigns after 37 years as Zimbabwe's leader have 337 words, post on edition.cnn.com at November 21, 2017. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.