Shimla: More than 10 per cent polling was recorded in two hours for the 68-seat Himachal Pradesh assembly elections that began amid tight security on Thursday, an election official said. Over 50 lakh voters from across the state were exercising their franchise in the single-phase poll that began at 8 a.m. and will continue till 5 p.m. “Despite the cold and minor hiccups like electronic voting machines developing snags at some places, there was no report of any delay in starting the poll process,” an electoral officer told news agency IANS. A total of 337 candidates, 19 of them women, are in the fray. There are 112 Independent candidates. The main contest is between the ruling Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). The Congress has projected incumbent Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh as its chief ministerial candidate, while Prem Kumar Dhumal is the BJP’s. Both are contesting the elections. Both Singh and Dhumal cast their votes along with family members at their hometowns Rampur and Samirpur, respectively. A total of 50.25 lakh electorate, including 19 lakh women and 14 transgenders, will decide the fate of the candidates. The Hikkim polling station in Lahaul-Spiti district, country’s highest polling booth at 14,567 ft,… Read full this story
- Justin Bieber's Country Airplay Chart Command With Dan + Shay on '10,000 Hours': 'The Biebs Fits In Seamlessly'
- Poll: Majority Backs AOC’s 70 Percent Top Marginal Tax Rate
- Revealed: Detectives are left on hold for 42,000 hours waiting to speak to a lawyer to have a suspect charged
- Delhi Govt Has Spent Rs 500 Crore on Publicity, Kejriwal Running PR Exercise: Himachal CM
- Snow blocks strategic Hindustan-Tibet road; 300 stranded passengers rescued from Kufri after fresh snowfall in Himachal
- Cold wave tightens grip in Himachal; heavy snow in Shimla, Kufri throws life out of gear
- Sub-zero temperatures prevail in main tourist hotspots of Himachal Pradesh
- Ranji Trophy: Mumbai take on Himachal in Dharamsala
- Kotkhai custodial death case: Himachal IG Zaidi back in judicial custody for misusing bail concession
- REVEALED - Corbyn's polling day ploy to convince celebs to back his party: Comedian claims leader's social media team asked him to tweet 'Labour' and help 'start a wave' of other luvvies doing the same (and looks like it worked!)
Himachal records over 10% polling in two hours have 353 words, post on news.abplive.com at November 9, 2017. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.