SAN DIEGO — Northern Illinois head coach Rod Carey remembers the play well, citing it first when listing the challenges his Huskies face defending 19th-ranked San Diego State on Saturday at SDCCU Stadium in San Diego. Late in the first quarter a season ago, San Diego State running back Rashaad Penny broke down the right sideline, well past the Northern Illinois coverage, and quarterback Christian Chapman hit him in stride for a 28-yard touchdown pass. Executing a wheel route any more perfectly would be tough duty. A repeat Saturday night seems unlikely, based on Penny’s assessment of its use a season ago in DeKalb, Illinois. “That was a special play,” he said. But given how San Diego State (4-0) ranks No. 5 nationally in rushing plays of 20-plus yards — and three of Chapman’s five touchdown passes are from 21 yards or more — Northern Illinois (2-1) needs to be ready for a different selection of big plays. Penny said the entire process of mapping out and executing explosive plays is a central part of the San Diego State offense. “Coaches calling the right plays in the right situations (based on) formations, where we are on the field,” he said…. Read full this story
- Maniac, 19, behind San Diego synagogue shooting was ‘inspired by Christchurch massacre’ and had previously burned down a mosque
- San Diego synagogue shooting: One dead, three injured after attacker posted 'open letter' online
- Man arrested after shooting at San Diego synagogue which 'left several people injured'
- Gunman opens fire in San Diego synagogue on last day of Passover
- One killed and several wounded at San Diego synagogue shooting
- Deadly attack at San Diego synagogue
- San Diego synagogue shooting: Suspect arrested after one killed and three wounded
- Vile 'manifesto' of San Diego shooting suspect 'praised Christchurch gunman'
- Multiple people injured in shooting at synagogue outside San Diego
- One dead and four injured after gunman opens fire at synagogue near San Diego
Northern Illinois provides challenge to No. 19 San Diego State (Sep 30, 2017) have 311 words, post on www.foxsports.com at September 26, 2017. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.