When Al Gore’s climate-change documentary An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power opened to less than $1 million at the box office in early August—coming in 16th place in its first weekend of wide release—the right-leaning media was quick to dismiss it as a “bomb.” The sequel’s takings, the likes of Fox News noted, were far below its Academy Award–winning predecessor, An Inconvenient Truth, released in 2006.But to dwell on An Inconvenient Sequel ‘s box office receipts is to the miss the point. The film’s message—a warning wrapped in the guise of a blockbuster movie experience—is no more critical than it is right now.The devastation of Hurricane Harvey in August has flooded the city of Houston. In the first week of September, more tropical storms are already foretold to cause even more chaos. The Category 4 Hurricane Irma has ripped its way through the Caribbean on its way to Florida, while Hurricane Jose is tipped to closely follow behind it in ravaging several Caribbean Islands. A third hurricane, Katia, could hit Mexico by Saturday morning. That country was just hit with a major earthquake Thursday night.The back-to-back disasters may not be directly caused by climate change, but the intensification of global… Read full this story
- Trump's assault on election integrity forces question: What would happen if he refused to accept a loss?
- Tropical storm warning discontinued in hurricane-battered Bahamas
- State of the union address: Obama lays down gauntlet – as it happened
- Has the Government just ruined ALL foreign summer holidays? Travel firms warn of a wave of cancellations across France, Italy and Greece after ministers hit the 'nuclear button' and put Spain on quarantine list at just five hours notice
- The Truth About the Tea Party
- ‘It’s going to happen’: is the world ready for war in space?
- Global Warming Is Melting Our Sense of Time
- Alaskan town could soon be wiped out by rare ‘glacier tsunami’ with wave HUNDREDS of feet tall
- Donna Brazile: To win presidency and majorities in Congress, Democrats should follow this battle plan
- A Plague Is an Apocalypse. But It Can Bring a New World.
Climate Change Made Hurricane Irma Worse: Al Gore Warned This Would Happen But People Didn't Listen to His 'Inconvenient Truth' have 352 words, post on www.newsweek.com at September 8, 2017. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.