Kamala Harris. Photo: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images Last month, Kamala Harris won hearts and minds at a party in the Hamptons. The first-term California senator set the Democratic Party’s top donors “abuzz” over the prospect of her running for president in 2020. But the donor class’s (widely reported) exuberance sparked an equal and opposite reaction on the Democrats’ far-left flank, which trusts the political and policy judgement of high-dollar Clinton contributors about as much as said contributors would trust the home-decorating instincts of a rhesus monkey. Left-wing writers acknowledged the appeal of having a relatively young, African-American woman as the Democratic standard-bearer. But they insisted that Harris’s identity would count for little, if she refused to embrace the policy demands of the progressive grassroots. Bitter debates over the false dichotomy between “identity politics” and “economic populism” ensued. All across left-of-center social media, “Bernie Bros” and “Hillarybots” refought the 2016 Democratic primary. And then, on Wednesday night, Harris announced that she would co-sponsor Bernie Sanders’s forthcoming bill to establish a single-payer, “Medicare for All” health-care system in the United States. “All people should have access to affordable health care, and as we talk about moving toward a single-payer system, I think there… Read full this story
- Democratic Debate #11 Review: Coronavirus Dominates, Trump Bored & Joe Biden Starts Measuring Oval Office Drapes – UPDATE
- Bernie Sanders says he won the ideological battle for the Democratic Party. Is he right?
- Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders hit out at Donald Trump over his response to pandemic
- Ta-Nehisi Coates Is an Optimist Now
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Got Dragged For Suggesting People Who Are “Unwilling To Work” Should Get Paid. Advocates Say That’s The Point.
- $4,000? $1,000? Tax Breaks? Lawmakers, Economists Weigh In With Solutions to Help Americans Amid Economic Fallout from Coronavirus
- America Is Trapped in Trump’s Delusional World
- Who Will Bernie Sanders Supporters Turn To Next?
- Andrew Gillum Could Make Progressivism the New Pragmatism
- Krugman: Bernie Sanders isn’t a Socialist
The Left Has Made Medicare for All a Mainstream, Democratic Policy have 319 words, post on nymag.com at August 31, 2017. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.