It’s been a tumultuous year for the Imperial Irrigation District. On the energy side, IID canceled tens of millions of dollars in contracts following allegations of financial conflicts of interest against the consultant ZGlobal Inc. On the water side, the publicly owned utility was jolted by a court ruling that could make it more difficult to limit the use of Colorado River water by Imperial Valley farmers. Voters will have a chance to judge IID’s response to those developments on June 5, when three of the five seats on the agency’s elected board of directors are up for grabs. But even though the Coachella Valley is home to more than 60 percent of IID’s energy customers, only Imperial County residents will be allowed to vote. JUNE 5 ELECTIONS: Here are the races Riverside County voters need to know about DISTRICT ATTORNEY: Criminal justice reform advocate challenges Mike Hestrin The origins of the Coachella Valley’s unusual relationship with the Imperial Irrigation District date back nearly a century, to the laws and agreements that made possible the construction of Hoover Dam and the canals that bring Colorado River water to Southern California. As a result, nearly 95,000 homes and businesses in the Coachella Valley buy electricity from IID but have no representation on… Read full this story
- Greta Thunberg is 'The Face of Foreign Intervention' in 2019 Canadian Federal Election - Pundit
- Factbox: Spanish parties' promises for November 10 snap election
- Jeremy Corbyn calls for election if MPs vote down May's Brexit deal
- Tories cling on to tax exiles' right to vote for life despite bill delay
- Election 1923: When NI last picked its MPs at Christmas
- ‘I feel strangely optimistic’: meet the first time voters
- James Damore sues Google, alleging intolerance of white male conservatives
- A divided electorate throws up a polarised mandate: Pranab Mukherjee
- No room at the top: why are US boardrooms still so white?
- Newton Candidate Profile: Emily Norton Runs For City Council
'Taxation without representation': Why the Coachella Valley can't vote in IID elections have 316 words, post on www.desertsun.com at July 18, 2017. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.