By Sarah Marsh HAVANA (Reuters) – Cuban President Raul Castro on Friday denounced U.S. President Donald Trump’s partial rollback of the U.S.-Cuban detente, saying it ignored broad public support for better relations and would satisfy only a few Cuban-American hard-liners. In his first public riposte to Trump since the latter unveiled his new Cuba policy last month, Castro told the national assembly that any attempt to topple the revolution would fail, as it had under 11 previous U.S. presidents. “We reject the manipulation of the topic of human rights against Cuba, that can be proud of much in this area, and does not need to receive lessons from the United States nor anyone,” Castro was quoted as saying by state-run media Cubadebate. Foreign media does not have access to the twice-yearly meetings of the national assembly. Trump said last month he was canceling former President Barack Obama’s “terrible and misguided deal” with Communist-run Cuba. In reality, he left in place many of Obama’s changes, including the reopened U.S. embassy in Havana. But he ordered tighter restrictions on Americans traveling to Cuba and a clampdown on U.S. business dealings with the military in the Caribbean island. Castro said Cuba remained open… Read full this story
- AP FACT CHECK: Testing 'czar' rebuts Trump; vet care hyped
- AP FACT CHECK: Testing ‘czar’ rebuts Trump; vet care hyped
- Trump Won’t Explain Potentially Illegal Cuba Dealings, But It May Not Matter
- Pelosi and Schumer call for economic relief for citizens married to foreign nationals
- Kobach and Trump’s Spectacular Voter-Fraud Failure
- Venezuela and Cuba Argue U.S. Military Operation in Caribbean Is Attempt to Intimidate, Distract from Coronavirus Crisis
- Biden says he would return to Obama-era relations with Cuba
- The Secret to Making a Liberal Argument Sound Dumb: Pretending Trump Doesn’t Exist
- Trump administration targets Venezuela's President and other top officials
- Mike Pence says Trump adviser's contact with Russia was "strictly coincidental"
Cuba's Castro rebuts Trump at national assembly have 317 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at July 14, 2017. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.