© REUTERS / Jonathan DrakeUS Congressman: Special Prosecutor Needed in US Election ProbeMOSCOW (Sputnik) — The news outlet was told that an imminent withdrawal from the 47-seat watchdog, which is due to meet for a 34th session this Monday, was not in question, but said US State Department chief Rex Tillerson had been increasingly skeptical of the UN body. “There’s been a series of requests coming from the secretary of state’s office that suggests that he is questioning the value of the US belonging to the Human Rights Council,” the department’s former official familiar with the matter told Politico. Some of the concerns are that the council has been targeting Israel, a key US ally, over its treatment of the Palestinian minority, including a perceived lenient jail term for an Israeli soldier who had killed an incapacitated Palestinian attacker. Washington has also been critical of the UN body for giving seats to China and Saudi Arabia.
- An opportunity the United Nations and its Secretary-General must not miss ǀ View
- Iran 'Has Shown' it Would Buy Weapons, Upgrade Defences Even With Nation's Scarce Budget - Pundit
- Russia-Iran Cooperation on Syria Helps Resolve 'Other Mideast Problems' – MP
- Key moments in the 1979 Iran hostage crisis at US Embassy
- Trump Gets the National Security Adviser McMaster Tried to Prevent
- America First! Defiant Trump posts simple two-word tweet after refusing to sanction Saudi Arabia and its crown prince over Jamal Khashoggi's death, insisting he will not risk losing 'hundreds of billions of dollars to Russia and China'
- A lethal drugs loophole: Debbie, 41, took painkillers for a bad back. But when her doctor tried to wean her off, she turned to online pharmacies who sold her 3,700 codeine pills in the months before she died. How CAN that be legal?
- Donald Trump in letter to African Union: US 'deeply respects' Africa
- Iran and Israel May Never Get Along, But Both Learn to Live With Russia in Syria
- South Korea's self-appointed 'patriots' protest against rapprochement with North Korea
US Considering Withdrawal From UN Human Rights Council have 321 words, post on sputniknews.com at February 26, 2017. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.