Playing an increasing role in the new world order, the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) will likely face the challenges to keep its position based on values of the solidarity, the sharing of the vision while still have to solve each member’s problems. In the end of November 2016, a Malaysian minister called on ASEAN to review Myanmar’s membership in the bloc. The movement reflected tensions that lead to confrontations between Myanmar forces and Rohingya people, a Muslim ethnic minority community in Rakhine, Myanmar. Thousands of Rohingya people have escaped from Rakhine to Bangladesh, and some of the rest went to Malaysia or Indonesia, according to AFP. Under the pressure, in the middle of December, Myanmar’s leader Aung San Suu Kyi called meeting of ASEAN foreign ministers to solve the Rohingya crisis. Shadowed by East Vietnam Sea issue 2016 was the first year of ASEAN as the bloc considered a community within three main pillars: ASEAN Economic Community (AEC), Political-Security Community (APSC) and Socio-Cultural Community (ASCC). Yet the Myanmar story mentioned above is just one of many movements and challenges that ASEAN have been facing since the beginning of the year. Politics and governmental changes in the world have… Read full this story
- National interest supercedes individual rights – S-Court
- Defiant Scott Morrison insists Australia did nothing wrong by calling for a coronavirus inquiry which infuriated China - and says he will continue to act in the national interest as trade tensions escalate
- Pu Mat National Park expected to become ASEAN Heritage Park
- What Do We Know About New US National Security Advisor Robert O'Brien?
- National Facebook ad ruled misleading by watchdog, party will appeal decision
- HKSAR govt to fully cooperate with NPC on national security legislation
- Could Biden Move Left on National Security?
- 180 Arrested in Hong Kong Protests Against China’s ‘National Security’ Takeover
- Transcript: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on "Face the Nation," May 17, 2020
- Transcript: Gary Cohn discusses coronavirus and the economy on "Face the Nation," May 17, 2020
ASEAN in 2017: The story of common and national interests have 323 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at February 22, 2017. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.